I have been on holiday in Crete for the last couple of weeks, which I have spent mainly on the beach or by the pool! However, I did manage to try some Cretan specialties, two of which; honey and peaches, are featured in this recipe.
While I was away, we also went to a Greek supermarket, which was amazing; selling everything from rosemary and olive oil Pringles (the best flavour!), to ‘Angry Birds’ UNO cards, and everything in between! I managed to find some mini star shaped cake tins, which were so cute I just had to buy them… and use in this recipe.
125g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
1 ½ eggs – I do this by cracking the second egg into a separate bowl, and weighing it. I then give it a mix to combine white and yolk, and then weigh half into the cake-mix bowl.
25g plain flour
140g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
1 large peach, cut into thin slices
Drizzle of honey
4 small cake tins, preferably star shaped!
- Grease and flour the cake tins, and set aside, then pre-heat the oven to 180°.
- Cream butter and sugar, and add the extracts.
- Add the eggs, and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds, and fold in.
- Spoon the mixture into the tins and smooth down.
- Add 5 peach slices to each tin – I put 1 in each point of the star.
- Drizzle with honey, and cook for 25 minutes.
- When cooked, and firm to the touch, take them out and leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Tip out of the tins and enjoy with another drizzle of honey.