The return of the Great British Bake Off last Wednesday made me so happy – Bake Off seems to unite the country in a way little else does. My favourite baker so far is definitely Norman – who could forget his hand made skateboard swiss roll plate, or his assertion that his swiss roll was ‘for men’!
This year I am taking part in the Great Bloggers Bake Off (link is at the bottom!), which means I have to bake something along the same theme as the Bake Off contestants every week. This week, however, I’m on holiday in Jersey, so having to bake this week’s theme – biscuits, in our holiday apartment kitchen! It was all going fine, until I realised that not only did I not have scales, but I was also lacking a rolling pin, baking paper, or a baking tray…!
Nevertheless, I have not spent a year baking in a student kitchen without learning anything, so I managed, using a beer bottle as a rolling pin, and roughly guessing the quantities. Despite this, they haven’t turned out badly!
Lemon and white chocolate biscuits
For the biscuits:
- 125g softened butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g plain flour
- Zest 1 lemon
- 100g white chocolate, melted
Heat your oven to 180°C
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the egg and lemon zest and beat well again.
- Stir in the flour until you have a dough, then chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- When chilled, roll out and cut into shapes (I used a knife to cut them into rectangles because our holiday apartment was unfortunately lacking biscuit cutters..!)
- Place on a greased baking tray and bake for 9-10 minutes until lightly golden.
- When the biscuits are cool, dip half into the white chocolate, then leave to set on a sheet of baking paper.
This post is entered in week 2 of the Great Bloggers Bake Off, run by the lovely Jenny Paulin over at http://www.thecrazykitchen.co.uk/.
Link to the first week’s round up post: http://www.mummymishaps.co.uk/2014/08/great-bloggers-bake-off-2014-week-1-cakes-round-up.html