Welcome to Day 3 of the 12 days of Christmas on Ellie Bakes, where I will be sharing a festive recipe every day until Christmas Eve. I think Christmas is the best time of the year for baking, and I have lots of great recipes to share!
These rocky road are the perfect Christmas gift, as they can be cut into neat little squares, which, when packaged in little paper bags with ribbon and labels look really cute. They would be great to give to teachers, relatives, or chocolate loving friends!
A couple of my friends (who shall remain nameless!) hate it when I put raisins in my rocky road, as they are ‘too healthy'(!), so for them I have made a plain version, simply with biscuits and marshmallows. I’ve also put the ingredients for a Christmassy version, with orange zest and ‘healthy’ dried cranberries.
For the basic version:
- 300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 100g butter
- 3 tbsp. golden syrup
- 150g digestive biscuits, broken into pieces
- 60g mini marshmallows
- 50g white chocolate, melted, to drizzle
For the Christmassy version:
- zest of 1 orange
- 60g dried cranberries
- Melt the chocolate, butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan until smooth, then leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Tip in the biscuits and marshmallows and stir well. For the Christmas version also add in the orange zest and cranberries.
- Line a tin with clingfilm, then tip the mixture in, smooth with a spoon and cover with more clingfilm.
- Leave in the fridge for 2 hours to set, then cut into squares, drizzle with white chocolate and package to give as presents (or eat them yourself!).